Thursday, August 29, 2013

Woodward Dream Cruise, Friday Night in Ferndale, Michigan

So, I've done it again - been a little lax about posting this summer.  Once Car Season got started, a lot things got pushed to the side.  Then, a few weeks ago, one of my friends mentioned that I had not posted my blog lately.  My response was, "You read my blog!?!"  I was so excited!  So, I have at least one friend who reads it!  Now, if I could just get some folks to comment on it!

I have recently begun uploading the photos that we took while at The Woodward Dream Cruise on August 16th and 17th.  That Friday, I met our friends, Keith and Cindy Faigin, Rich Chaperon, and his friend Matt in Ferndale to see Keith host his Improv troupe's show at Go Comedy.  If you like improv and are ever in the area, you should check them out.  They are very funny.  You can find the schedule at:  http://gocomedy.net/

While I waited for everyone,  I stood in the median of Woodward Avenue and took a bunch of shots.

I took a lot of pictures.  It took me several days to upload and label just the pictures from Friday night in Ferndale.  If you'd like to look at all of them, go to: http://www.flickr.com/photos/16645250@N00/sets/72157635237518746/

After Friday evening and all day Saturday taking literally hundreds of pictures, Keith assigned me an impossible task - pick my top 10 cars of the weekend and send the pictures to him.  Please keep in mind that these are not necessarily going be the best pictures that I took with my fancy new camera that Hal bought for me for my last birthday; these are going to be the cars I liked the most.  (Also keep in mind, that I discovered that while the new camera is vastly superior to any camera I have ever owned, I have also discovered that I need a zoom lens!!)

The following are the candidates from Friday night, in no particular order:

Click on the photo to see full-sized view.

 
1964 Cadillac convertible
 
Big, bold and beautiful.  What's not to love?

 
 1960s Mercedes 280SL (W113)
 
Always overshadowed by its predecessor, the Gullwing 300 SL, the Pagoda bodystyle as it's known has recently become more desirable to collectors.  I've loved them ever since Reggie Jackson said it was one of the most underappreciated cars of its era.  (I remember reading that in a car magazine at a swim meet in Pascagoula, MS in the mid-70s.  Some things really stick with you!)



Nash Ambassador Custom
 
It just looks awesome.

 
1972 Ford Gran Torino
 
My sister had one of these when she was in college and let me drive it every once in a while.  Amazing lines for a car designed in the 70s; I still think it's one of the prettiest cars out there.

 
1968 Chrysler Newport convertible
 
When the 5 members of my family and our cat lived in lived in a two bedroom apartment while our house in Ocean Springs, MS was being built, the man who ran the Bienville House apartment complex owned a 1968 Chrysler New Yorker.  Recently, those beautiful cars have been making a comeback in my list of favorites. 

 
1970 Dodge Coronet R/T convertible
 
Another car that I loved when I was a kid and still do today, the front end of the 70 Dodge Coronets were quite controversial - a love 'em or hate 'em kind of car.  I love 'em! 
 
 
1962 Dodge Dart
 
This is an example of a car that I hated as a kid, but love now.  Virgil Exner had some amazing design skills and went all out in the late 50s and early 60s for Chrysler Corporation.  It's definitely a bit overdone, but in a way only American cars of the late 50s and early 60s could be. 

 
1971 Ford Galaxie 500
 
This is a car that had completely dropped off my radar for a long time.  In 1970 while living in the aforementioned 2 bedroom apartment, I saw a magazine ad for the 1970 Full Size Fords and fell in love.  I'd love to own one of these and to find a station wagon version, too!

 
1965 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser station wagon
 
Altough I lean primarily Ford and Pontiac in my love for wagons (69 Country Squire or 69 Safari, anyone?), the Oldsmobile and Buick wagons of the mid-60s to early 70s with their Panoramic windows around the edge of the roof are worthy of note!

 
1948 or 1949 Cadillac
 
I really don't think I need to say anything.  Just look at it.

 
Porsche 356
 
James Dean drove one.  (It's a shame he died in one.)


1971 Buick Riviera
 
One of the boldest car designs in the history of automobiles.  The boattail Rivieras of 1971-1973 are unlike any car ever made or will ever be again.  Definitely on my list of "one to own before I die". 

I'd love to hear what you think of my candidates. 

If you looked through the whole flickr set, were there cars in there you liked better?

Have a great Labor day weekend!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wish we could find another Torino. I loved that car. Or a Brat. Always wish I had kept that baby cuz I got nothing for it.